Thursday, December 23, 2010

"Cedar Waxwing" by Russell Gordon

"Cedar Waxwing" by Russell Gordon

"The painting "Cedar Waxwing" began when a flock of these beautiful birds visited one afternoon in the crabapple tree outside my studio door. About a dozen or so flew in and stayed nearly an hour, perching, resting and eating the bittersweet berries that are still on the vine that winds through the tree even through November. They stayed so long that I was able to really observe them complete w/ quick sketches in solitary poses and preliminary small groupings and even make notes on how they interacted for later reference. I began the painting at once in about mid November and actually brought the limb of crabapple into the studio complete with it's last golden leave and a few red berries. Whenever possible, painting from life is the best way to go for true realism. The bird progressed pretty quickly although I made a few changes along the way, slightly opening the beak and adding a small inchworm which I think adds a hint of whimsy and alludes symbolically to the cycle of seasons and growth that is boundlessly inspiring to me. The painting finished with about a month's work and I am pleased with the result. I am so fortunate to not only see these small wonders of nature on a regular basis but also to then include them in my paintings. I look forward to another visit from these and other of nature's humble wonders." ~ Russell Gordon




No comments:

Post a Comment