Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mark Bailey on upcoming show "DUO"


"Flight" by Mark Bailey

"Pike" by Mark Bailey

I was out at the beach one evening a couple months ago and I witnessed what had to be one of the most amazing sunsets ever, one like none I had seen before. Something about it deeply affected me, I realized that I will never see THAT sunset again, and in fact every moment and experience is just as rare and fleeting, moving slices of time. We are always in motion, moving forward, moments and the memories constantly passing us by. I am trying to find a way to capture these moments. Not just to record a still image or take a "snapshot", but I have been trying to give my images more motion and energy, with the realization or idea that this scene is passing, and will never re-occur. I am relying more on the memory and feeling of that time rather than trying to accurately convey it as I saw it. It can be the bustle of people within a setting, the sound of music coming from a group of musicians, the crisp air in a winter scene, or water rolling up onto the sand. I have struggled throughout my life to remain in the moment, which means I consciously have to make an effort to take in what is happening at the time. I have tried my best lately to focus on today, to enjoy what I have right now, and attempt to capture the memory, emotion, movement, and energy, as I am here. I strive to take those moving slices of time and create a painting that will more accurately convey the emotion and feeling of that moment or memory. ~ Mark Bailey




No comments:

Post a Comment