Friday, August 20, 2010

Unpredictability & Adventure

When I was in the process of selecting images and themes in order to create a cohesive body of work for this years show, I naturally felt that Charleston and its surrounding area, with a wonderful contrast of both history and modernity, would serve as a great subject. With this as my main theme, I was able to step out of my role as a still-life painter and venture into painting exterior scenes as well as portraits. “Dry Dock” set the tempo of the show for me. It was not only the first piece for the show, but also spoke specifically of the Lowcountry landscape and its culture.
I hope to convey to my audience that my artwork does not only speak directly of the subjects I paint but the day-to-day experiences I have. I often find painting to be like shopping. You go to the store to pick up a shirt and you ending coming back home with a pair of pants and a jacket, sometimes even forgetting what you originally set out for. The unpredictability of the final outcome adds to the adventure. My hope is that those who view my work witnesses this journey in every painting I do. ~ Evan Harrington

No comments:

Post a Comment